Thread: cellcept
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My experience with Cellcept...

Hi,

I am having a little trouble with my eyes today--but wanted to share with you my experience with Cellcept--which I consider to be good! I was diagnosed with MG about a year ago. I have MuSk Positive MG which is very hard to treat and a rare form. I have been taking Prednisone 30 mg/d for a long time, Mestinon 60 mg/3xday and I started Cellcept last Nov. 2010. I really resisted taking either Cellcept or Imuran and new symptoms were popping up every 3-4 weeks such as my neck muscles weakening and having trouble holding my head up. Increasing the prednisone didn't help and my fear of cancer had to compete with taking either the Cellcept or Imuran. My Neuro explained that Cellcept took longer to kick in and help--could be a full year where Imuran worked more quickly. But cancer, while still possible, seemed to happen less on Cellcept--so we put me on Cellcept. I started out taking 1000 mg a day (500 mg in am and again at night). In Jan 2011 I got a bad case of double vision when the temp. went down to 7 deg. below zero and my Neuro increased my prednisone to double strength for 4 days which took care of the problem. He also increased my Cellcept to 2000 mg (1000 mg in the am and then again at night). I've had very little side effects from it. Briefly I had a little stomach upset--not bad at all and I found if I drank a lot of water before the pills, with the pills and after it resolved that issue. Go figure. Also, I'm not really a coffee drinker and about that time I was drinking a copy of coffee a day... I am convinced the Cellcept is helping me. But I still deal with symptoms of MG but they are much milder. I started out with bulbar symptoms and that is so far all that I have (neck up symptoms). I had slurring that had me sounding like Daffy Duck (no longer), choking and swallowing issues (still that will pop up, droopy eyes (still have that but it's not too bad), weak voice sometimes (still). My Neuro says I have to have 3 months of no symptoms before we try to reduce my prednisone. But there's no doubt in my mind the Cellcept is helping me and leaves me feeling as "normal" as one can with MG. Remember--we are all different. This is just my experience. Somebody else could have a terrible experience with Cellcept and I know of many who have gone into remission on Cellcept--more than once even. I have posted a history of my medical experience since MG on this blog--maybe last May??? if you're interested....

I wish you the best!

Grace
Graced is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Marin826 (07-31-2011)