View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi49 View Post
BabyBoomer, to understand Defense spending one must have worked it. I did...for 32+ years. I would have to say that the biggest expense is on contractors or rather contracting out. To attempt to say cut this that or the other is wrong. That's not to say there isn't overlap or duplication of effort or potential for fraud, waste and abuse. Do you happen to remember BRAC? DOD saved millions!! I was part of several teams that closed and realigned many sites. I am just a firm believer in National Security first and foremost. For without it all else is moot. I would also like our troops to come home but not at the expense of our own shores as in 9/11 and I support what they are doing 100%. Also, it is NOT and I repeat NOT the military's job to build roads and bridges. That is what our Engineers are for i.e., Army Corps of Engineers. And the reason current debt reduction plan has no SS/Medicare "cuts" is because it as I said, MANDATORY spending.
Why doesn't Canada,Mexico,Great Britain,France etc have 900 Military bases located all over the world? They're not afraid of being attacked or do they know in the back of their minds that big brother(USA) will look after them should there be problems.