View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
You shouldn't need the modem connection on the laptop - you would use the Ethernet cable (bigger wire/cable & connector) to connect your dsl modem into the laptop.

check your dsl modem for a bigger plug-in opening - that would be the Ethernet cable plug in.

I plug my mouse into one of the usb ports.
and for the other part time use things - get a usb hub.
it plugs in to the other usb port but allows you to hook up multiple things with out have to change your connections in & out all the time.

a video about some extras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkk6ACjzNq4

my suggestion is to make a list of all the things you need to connect and any extras you have questions about.
The sales person at the store should be able to show you & explain all of it.

basically you should be able to plug the laptop in and start it up and go online right away. you might need to put in your modems Verizon ID & password but I don't think so.
I've hooked up & changed operating systems on many computers here and laptops and they just connect without much trouble at all.

Now you still will have to import any files, favorites/bookmarks from the old pc but that is where the flash drive comes in very handy.

I'll locate a website or video that shows you how easy it is in the morning...

for the old computer -

I'll have more time tomorrow to go into the old computer and if it can be reset & how to do it. Unless someone has a HP and has that info already.

See how stupid I am. The verizon guy recently put a separate dsl line in for my computer. THAT line goes into my modem. I have a yellow ethernet cable that runs from the modem into the back of my computer. So THAT one will go into the laptop right?

And I'm rethinking getting a laptop. I went online and viewed all the desktops and I can get a desktop with 1 terrabyte hard drive. 6 gigs of ram. dvd, all the bells and whistles and a 23 inch monitor for $600.

Now THAT is a good deal right? It's for a Dell Inspiron.

you see any thing I get has to be bigger, faster and just better than what I have now.

Oh, my husband and I always use headphones (plugged into the monitor) whenever we use the computer. It just so that when we watch movies or listen to music, it doesn't bother the other person in the house.

Do all the new monitors have headphone jacks?

Thanks much and I'll be interested to learn about flash drives.

Look at what I'm learning about at my age!!!

So Cool!!

No sitting in a rocking chair with knitting needles for me!!!!

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote