View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 05:12 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Are You Nuts???

Hey, my brother, as you know I've been dealing with a lot of pain recently and can only work part-time on a series of posts on ischemia reperfusion injury, so haven't been able to reply to some posts I would like to; but I need to tell you what I think about this one.

Back in the '60s I was an on-air radio personality; good, but not good enough for the major markets, so I began managing a couple of bands. They were pretty good musicians, but weren't motivated enough to write their own stuff. I could get them gigs at bars and even opening acts in concerts, but eventually people got tired of hearing nothing but covers and they faded.

I began promoting concerts and made some money for a while, but took a big loss with Freddy Cannon (he was pretty big at the time). I had a wife and infant son then and knew another big loss would wipe us out. I lost my nerve. I have never worried about finding a job, even when moving to a new state, but I didn't have it in me to take another risk promoting concerts.

Some make it big in the business, others don't. You have to really know the music industry and then be able to predict what is coming next. If your son doesn't have enough confidence in his ability to do this, he may be right. It is up to him.

As far as his questioning your motivation to overcome the barriers imposed by RSD, if he can't see how difficult your life is just trying to keep going despite this disease, he isn't looking. That is his problem, not yours.

Hiding behind RSD? ********!!! We've talked many times and I know the different ways you've tried to find to go back to making money; I've done the same thing. I'm not a failure, hiding behind my pain, I'm a hard worker who can't find any work I can do with my limitations. You are too.

There are barriers that aren't self created. You were a weight lifter, and pretty good, but there was a barrier to how much you could lift. It wasn't self created, it was created by gravity. Even the best power lifter in the world is limited by gravity. If he suddenly developed RSD, he would be like many of us; limited by this new barrier.

Stop beating yourself up or you might end up like I did; losing weight to punish myself for what I thought were my failings. Keep fighting the RSD, my brother, that is your job right now. Some day you may be able to return to work, then you can overcome other barriers. Right now you have enough on your hands...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :

Last edited by Vicc; 03-13-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote