View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missj View Post
so glad he talks about the dangers of steroids too. So many people treat steroids like NSAIDs or M&M's --while in fact they are so harsh. To me using them is like shoving a crying baby into a soundproof closet. The baby is still crying, but you just can't hear him anymore. And watch out when you re-open the closet, who knows how that baby will be....
I have refused steroids more than once on my journey and reached my threshold for having to take them once. once in 15+ years.
I also try to avoid steroids too, but have used them briefly in the past and do see their benefits and well as see their problems.

I keep Prednisone in the house at all times for one dog in case she needs it. She has Cushing's disease and if her cortisol (steroidal hormone) drops too low, then I am to give her Prednisone because she could easily go Addisonian, or could die. A friend of mine has a dog with Addison's which is where the dog produces too little cortisol or none at all and the treatment is steroids because the dog's body just does not produce enough normal steroids.

JFK had Addison's and I wonder what they used back in the 60's for that. Anyone know????

Cathy
Cathyddd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (08-10-2011), Kitty (08-04-2011), SallyC (08-03-2011)