Thread: Frustration
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Frustrated,
I feel the same way you do as well. I'm lost as to what to do next. Two failed SCS surgeries, and it all made my RSD move to new areas that have kept me bed-ridden. My neurosurgeon has recommended me for the ketamine infusion treatment at the RSD Clinic in Tampa, Florida. Of course it's all considered experimental and not covered by insurance, and they require payment up front. I'm lost though, with nothing else to try.
My neurosurgeon said that ketamine is a common drug used in the emergency room for children especially. It is one of the only anesthesia meds that doesn't cause a decrease in your respiration, and also leaves your system immediately. So they can give it to a child, reset a broken bone, and within a few minutes the child is coherent and awake again. This was during our two hour long conversation about my hesitancy to try the ketamine as it just freaked me out, the thought of it. I'm now looking at it as if I would pay any amount of money, even if it only gives me the relief for the week that I am there.

He did make me promise to go to the doc. he was sending me to for the ketamine, even if I was able to find a slightly more reasonable rate much closer to home. He said there are very few docs in the US that have done double blind studies with the ketamine in RSD patients, and very few that follow scientific protocol for all patients. I imagine there are other docs doing this procedure correctly, but researching the docs and the patient experiences has been key for me in reducing my fears.

I go to see my pain doc tomorrow as I have been unable to leave my bed all week from pain. If I learn anything interesting or have something new to try I will certainly post.

I hope you are able to get some relief soon. I know how hard it is, so taxing to have the pain screaming at you constantly. Keeping you in my prayers.

Eli

elijjennings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DreaB (08-06-2011)