Thread: diets for MG
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Zizz. I'm sorry your Dad has MG. How old is he? Actually, they say that swimming is a great exercise for people with MG. A recumbent bike might be more useful or one of those InStride Cycles that you can use while sitting in a chair. Those are also very useful for arm strength (you can use them on a table), as are those rubber band exerciser to tone up muscles. Shorter periods of exercise, earlier in the day and while staying cool are important. Going outside to exercise, especially if it's too hot, is not a good thing for someone with MG.

It might be worthwhile for him to consult both a physical therapist via his neurologist and a nutritionist.

Cirrhosis has many causes. Have they figured out why he has it? It's always best to do that.

There are proteins such as whey and rice that are good and contain essential amino acids necessary for muscles. Quinoa is a great source of both complex carbs and protein. A diet in veggies, fruits, nuts, some meat like chicken and fish, good nuts, etc. is great but everyone's diet needs specialization based on their needs. As far as other dietary concerns, I think it's best to talk to the experts.

I hope you find ways to help your Dad.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote