View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB63 View Post
Hello,

A very brief background: I have been hanging out in PN mainly for info on PN with motor involvement. Gait problems started last November. My neuromuscular doc feels multiple herpes zoster infections affected the root nerves in my L/S spine causing bilateral leg weakness (R>L), drop foot on right. I showed very modest improvement in strength after a course of Valtrex ( no progression of symptoms since I was seen in April).
I have axonal loss by EMG/NCV in the legs most likely attributed to HZ polyradiculneuronopathy.

What I really am trying to research out or just hear from others is aboout my Thoracic MRI result. The section head doc thought it needed further investigation, but I was turned over to my current doc who feels it only contributes to mild hyperreflexia.

Thoracic Spine: Large central disc herniation at t6-t7 with effacement of ventral CSF with mild indentation of vental aspect of the spinal cord. Moderate spinal canal stenosis at this level. Shallow small central herniation t7-t8.

Needless to say it hurts like heck, but what are the neuro manifestations? Can a mild cord compression at this level effect my legs? I am giving some thought to seeing a neurosurgeon (not that I want that surgery) or possible a spine guy. I do not want to be looking for the zebra when I hear the hoofbeats in NY.
I just learned today that I have only a mild "tiny central disc protrusion" at T6-7. I have had the same symptoms alternating between central pain in my T-spine as well as radicular pain and weakness, left greater than right, with foot drop which scared the heck out of me! The rough part is the rest of my spine is basically FUBAR as well, but from my limited understanding of nerve distribution, problems with the T-spine at these levels can cause the radicular symptoms of the foot drop and range all the way to paralysis.

I opted out of the pain clinic as I am in no position to go through injections of steroid medications which may or may not work. Now have to ask for referral to orthopedic surgeon as well as rheumatologist. More weeks of waiting. I found that some bedrest was helpful. Since I have what I like to call "TPS or traveling pain syndrome", the issue has gone ahead and moved onto a shoulder impingement problem and more centralized and widespread back pain.

See a spine guy and good luck...seems Peter never knows what Paul is doing these days. Took me 2 years to get an MRI :P
tracypori is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-26-2011)