View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison5 View Post
In the last four and half years I have an two X-LIF90 minimum invasive surgeries on L3/4 and L4/5; three arthroscopic surgeries and a full knee replacement; fusion at C6/7 and three surgeries (2 revision - one about five days ago) on C5/6. The cervical surgeries are easier than the lumbar as you can lift your head with you hand etc. But, with the Lumber surgeries, I would suggest that you get a trapeze over your bed so that you can life yourself up to a sitting position. I didn't realize how wonderful it was to have one until my second revision surgery on my lower back.

Your kids can definitely help out. They are used to making charts in school, so make a chart of what meds you are on and when you are suppose to take them and have them write down the time of when you took them. This will make them feel so helpful.

They can probably also fix you Gingerale and toast since your appetite won't be the best in the beginning. Put a big box of Kleenex and a waste bin by the bed b/c you will be coughing up junk from being under for so long. MY revision surgeries were 7 hours or more long. It's five days now and I am still spitting up stuff. You will feel like you were hit by a truck but eventually that will go away.

My doctor always uses Dermabond on my incisions so I take a shower when I get home or the next day and it puts you in a better frame of mind. As others have posted, put everything you think you will need around your bed as that will be your command post for a while. I always do all of my bills and balance the checkbook etc before surgery so I don't have to worry about that.

As for driving....hmmmm....you could hire a 'at home care giver" for an hour or so who can run to the store for you or cook up a few meals for you. I had one once when no one in my family could stay with me for a day.

There are a million things I want to tell you but it would take forever. You will be surprised at how well your children will do. The roles will be reversed and they will be true champions. Oh, I would teach them how to do laundry if they don't know how already. My son was 14, now that I think about it, when he helped take care of me. Of course, now that he is 18 and can drive etc. he can shop, get meds, clean, cook etc.

Remember to keep your chin up. Always manage your pain medicine correctly, don't try to be a trooper....if you are in pain, take your meds. Use a cane to walk to your bathroom etc b/c you will be dizzy and it's good to get out of bed and get circulation.

Oh, and I would not put off the pain any longer. You will be surprised at how good it feels to finally be fixed. I had been in pain for 13 years before finally finding the right doc. My lower back fused in a year and it's wonderful.

Good luck and I will check back here to see how you are doing. Where will the kids be when you are in the hospital for 7-9 days? If they are with friends, I think you are going to find that your friends will be there to help...

This is a very nice post Madison5, positive and upbeat.

I can sympathize with Tina 1960 having kids and pets and etc. Tina, if you are involved in a church, or have friends who are, ask around about meals ministries. A lot of churches have them. The people basically take turns bringing your meals for up to 3 weeks. This way you are not living on Top Ramen and cereal and can get the balanced meals you need for healing.
tracypori is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote