View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the forum! I've been taking AED's (seizure meds) for over 30 yrs. now and I found that I was drug resistant. You are correct the diet is the best way to go and the diet won't hurt your daughter as much as the AED's do. I've been doing the ketogenic diet on my own since my health insurance company is refusing to cover me to see a Dietician.

I don't know how old your daughter is but I started having seizures when I was 10 yrs. old and the main thing that triggered seizures for me was hormonal changes each month. I later found out that eating almond or peanuts was a big help because they have progesterone in them and this helps calm the nerves and reduces seizures.

Some of the ways a person can end up getting epilepsy are:

sleep apnea, lack of oxygen at birth or later in life, difficulties at birth, family genes, drug or alcohol abuse, trauma, a bad blow to the head, or to many cells on one area of the brain that never dissolved and in turn lead to scar tissue on the brain.

If you can get it get the book titled "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" By Dr. John Freeman this is an excellent bood that explains all about the ketogenic diet, how it works, the side effects, along with a few recipes. I wish you and Hannah only the best of luck and May God Bless the Both Of You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote