View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default What Type of TOS Do I Have?

I have been told I have TOS - but I would like to rule out arterial type (If I am that lucky). I can't think I have venous but am concerned about the ATOS variety. For as "rare" as ATOS seems to be, it would seem be a lot more common than I'd hope on this forum.

Am considering going to a vascular person for an opinion, which I would assume to be a physical evaluation and a doppler ultrasound? My questions...

When I look at this page:
http://surgery.wustl.edu/TOS_Arterial.aspx

And compare my symptoms to the list:
  • A sudden onset of hand pain and weakness
    Quote:
    seems a lot of people have that with NTOS
  • Numbness and tingling in the hand or fingers
    Quote:
    I've been told my cold fingers could be autonomous nervous system (spelling?) I don't get the paleness
  • Cold and pale fingers
    Quote:
  • Chronic arm fatigue with use or claudication
    Quote:
  • Non-healing wounds or ulcerations in the fingers
    Quote:
    okay, so i don't have those

I don't have the ulcerations, but couldn't those symptoms be neurogenic too? They seem pretty broad and it's a little tricky to tell what exactly I have. I have been improving in PT, but am still getting the numbness and pins and needles which has me a little concerned.

For those with ATOS, can you talk a little about your symptoms versus that of regular NTOS? For those with no extra rib, how have you fared without surgery if that was an option?

Can I go to pretty much any vascular surgeon, or should I see one of the recommended ones in the stickies? Just concerned about going to someone who will simply tell me they want to cut me up. And don't want to go prematurely to someone who will see me as a surgical candidate if it can be avoided. Want an unbiased opinion, if possible.
343v343 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote