View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by styln122874 View Post
For a while now I have noticed that my mother who is 60y/o just doesn't seem right in so many ways. I think she has the signs of dementia but I am not sure. I hope someone can help me figure out her problem and help me with ideas to get her the help she so desperately needs. She is very forgetful, having problems managing finances, hypocondriac, personality changes (very stand-offish...you cannot confront her in anyway), mood swings, angry, poor judgment, paranoid, got lost in a familular town the other day, tells stories but the next time she tells them she changes everything or she repeats her stories very often and truly believes she is telling a true story when in fact she is not,she repeats her stories often, aggressive, agitated, thinks the world revolves around her and no one else matters, depressed severely (says she would be better off if she was gone). The past 3 months has been the worst. My father is in the end stage of COPD and has recently been hospitalized for 9 weeks. The doctors said that there was nothing they could do. We were basically holding his hand waiting for him to go. But by the power of God he has recovered somewhat to live at home again. My mother through all of this has hated that he was getting all the attention and everything my father was diagnosed with she just "happened" to have. She told me to let my father go because the insurance was going to run out on life time days and she didn't want to be stuck with the bills. I was the one with hope and she was telling me to stop fooling myself that he would never come home. She has become to hate my father because everyone is so close to him. She was flooded 7months ago so they have been up rooted from their home and given a FEMA trailer to live in but she lives with me and makes him stay alone. That is not the case since he has returned home from the hospital. I pretty much made her move over there and take care of him at night and I take care of him the days. She cannot be confronted. If she is, then she hates you and will not talk to you for months and then you have to tell her your sorry for her to take you back in her life. Everything is about her. She goes behind dad to get plastic surgery done to better herself she says but complains that she has to get him things at the store that he needs because they don't have the money. She is a very angry person. She even goes to the extreme by telling her co-workers that dad is mean and yells at her. My whole family can say that it is the other way around. He would not do that to her. He does love her but I can't say the same about her. This is not the mother that I grew up with. She was a loving and caring person. Now she is this self revolved person that no one can stand. I don't know if it is dementia or not. But the symptoms point to her. If it is how do you tell someone that is so angry and non-confrontational that they need to seek help? She thinks everyone else has the problem, not her. I am sorry for writing a book here but I know you need to know her to give advise. Thank you for any help I can get.
This sounds exactly like my mother. Did your mother end up diagnosed? how are you and her today? hope this doesnt upset you.
jessieno116 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote