View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Xanax

Taking 2mg for sleep is a lot, and, unfortunately, because it's short-acting, it's a hard drug to stop. All the short acting benzos are hard to get off. Usually, people get off by switching to a long-acting one, like Klonopin, and tapering off that. Since it's not covered by your drug insurance, it would do you well to get off it, so you can get onto something covered, like Ambien.

But Mrs D is right, do it slowly. Not because you'll have something terrible happening if you stop all at once, mainly because it will be HARD for you. You'll have rebound problems with falling asleep if you stop quickly.

So just go down to 1.5 for a week, then 1.0, then ..75, then .5 and then off. But I'd suggest not changing the dose more often than once a week.

It should be pretty cheap as a generic, though, so you might find you can afford it if you want to stay on, or if you need to fill a prescription to get through the taper.

Also, I think Mrs D could be right on about the Mg. You might want to take a calcium/magnesium supplement-then you kill two birds with one stone!

And the nerve biopsy? Is that subject dropped?
I hope so.

Hang in there...

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote