Thread: Me and my brain
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
He had a couple of EEG's. I don't know about EMG, and I have never heard of tremor registration. He is 6. Symptoms are complicated. It started out as ataxia (drunk-looking walk). Then his legs became involved with muscle tightness and involuntary movement. Eventually, it began to move up his trunk and into his arms. We would see him reach for something, and his arm would overshoot or undershoot its target.

Lately, he's had a lot more trouble. When he first started taking ropinirole (requip), the pharmacy had mixed in some risperidone (risperdal) with it, unbeknownst to us. It really messed him up. Now, he not only has stiff muscles, but he also has a lot of tremors, chorea, ataxia, akathisia and choreo-athetosis type movements. Some of these seem to be related to having too much or too little dopamine. We have been trying to adjust his medications for months, but he keeps getting worse, to the point that he can barely walk for a good part of the day. His hips, legs and ankles are very tight, and he is needing both physical therapy and trigger point therapy to at least decrease the pain. I don't imagine this is very useful information for you, but I like to share what we are going through with other people who can at least relate to what it is like for him.
tremor registration: They where especially looking at the tremors in my hands. By this kind of test a couple of students where looking a me while I did some small exercises. Like holding a heavy book before you with stretched hands. In this way they can see how bad the tremors are and what kind of tremors you have.

An EMG is a test where you can measure the speed with current go from your brain to your muscles. By making lists of the speed they can tell if you got brain damage or not. They do that by putting a very thin needle (like the once they use for acupuncture) in a muscle, clamp a wire at the needle which run to a machine. Also you have pads on for instance your wrists. Then they give you a very small electric shock on you pad and that run through your body to the needle.

of couse your information is useful. It is always good to talk or write about it. I can imagen it must be hard for him, and also for you as a parent.

I found some dystonia groups on facebook. Thanks. I hope the doctors find a answer soon!

Bye Sophie
Sophiebrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote