View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

yeah, see, that's it. This guy says most insurance requires 40 episodes per hour, and 120 episodes per 180 minutes (3 hours) of sleep. That's two episodes per 3 minutes....so when do you have time to breathe at all at that rate? So, they don't even test a CPAP on you unless you have more than 40 episodes per hour. From what I've found so far, this seems like an extremely high requirement.

Sorry, Darlene, I wasn't clear. The sleep testing was indeed done at night. What I meant was, I know I have problems breathing during the day, if I recline (on couch, in chair, whatever) at certain angles, after a short bit I realized I'm barely breathing, it gets really slow and shallow, and then I end up instinctively heaving a huge breath and breathing hard to "catch up", then, if I don't change position or consciously breathe more deeply, it just happens over and over. Is why I finally convinced one of my doctors to send me to a pulmonologist. In the two months waiting for the appointment, things continued to get worse, and in last few weeks I've woken up with a giant gasp or gulp for air a few times. Is why he sent me for the sleep study. Didn't seem much impressed or to care about the daytime problems.

This all started with a massive car accident over a year and a half ago. Complications are still ongoing/progressing. Have had this problem from the start, but no one listens to anything that isn't a five minute to diagnose & solve problem. So I guess I continue to get what sleep I do, propped up in a recliner-couch on my side packed in pillows to keep me on my left side, weight off my shoulder, right arm held up level, back packed in to support bad zone, knees also pillowed to minimize pain (two diff docs, same MRI, and either there's absolutely nothing wrong with it or it's completely shot from trauma-induced arthritis, take your pick), it's freaking ridiculous. But as long as I'm completely on my side and not tipped back at all, and partially upright, the breathing thing doesn't seem to happen. Oh well.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote