Thread: MRI findings
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweidn View Post
I recently had an MRI with contrast. I have bilateral facial numbness/burning sensations for about 15 months and recently started having a lot of headaches and a burning sensation through my nostrils. The MRI showed a small vascular contact with the trigeminal nerves on both sides but the neurologist said he doesn't think i have any form of TN and that the MRI findings are not relevant, essentially it is a normal MRI. How can this be? Doesn't contact between blood vessels and the trigeminal nerves indicate TN?

First let me start off by saying that I am obviously no expert on TN but from everything I have read and from my personal experience when one has TN the MRI usually comes back normal aka showing nothing abnormal on the MRI. When i had my MVD back in January Dr. Sekula found that I had a major vein twisted around my trigeminal nerve and that never showed up on the MRI/CT etc. From what i recall of my research about TN and what doctors said yes blood vessels hitting the nerve can cause this pain. I would suggest going and seeing another neurologist. No one should have to live with any form of pain & if a test is clearly showing that something is hitting of your nerve then obv something is going on. I would also request from your original neurologist the MRI on a CD to take to your next appt for the doctors to see what he found.

Best Wishes!
sadie324 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (08-08-2011)