Thread: Frustration
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, this all has to do with hospital "guidelines" and who knows what their guidelines are. Since they didn't do an arterial blood gas - off of oxygen - they can't get the most clear picture of how you were doing. Oxygen saturation isn't always the best way to determine if an MGer is doing poorly, especially if they do it while you are not moving. And you have to realize that, at some point, it's all about money. Sad but true. They often use the excuse that you'll recover much more quickly at home and that they did give you a treatment!

Drugs are important but so is rest. Right now, you cannot do anything. The worse you get with MG, the longer it can take to recover. I was basically in bed for a month after my crisis. It really stunned me. I too thought that the meds should've worked more quickly. But in some people, it takes more time. And, like I said, it can take longer the worse off you are.

Doctors are, unfortunately, bound by the protocols of their hospitals. What I go nuts about, however, is when they don't express any amount of caring for their patients, as if doing so would show that their decision to discharge was an incorrect one! In their minds, they were probably thinking that they had done all they could for you and now it was up to you to let the drugs work. To some degree, that's true.

Unless you have an oximeter at home and can monitor yourself, there's no other way than "clinically" to see how you are doing (how you feel, move, etc.). You can check your pulse, which often is much higher when MG is worse (the heart works harder to get you oxygen when muscles get weaker).

Talk to your neuro about whether you simply need to be on complete rest right now (moving around a bit to avoid circulatory issues and atelectasis) or if you do indeed need more treatment.

I hope you will get better. It's pretty scary getting so bad.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote