View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I would suggest avoiding general anesthesia at all costs. Not only can it cause a relapse of symptoms but there are a lot of anecdotal reports of lasting symptoms. Some lawsuits have been filed against the drug makers.

I would personally try to avoid all inhaled anesthetics. They appear to be the worst. Do a google search for anesthesia and memory loss or cognitive decline. You will find a variety of articles. Beware of the articles written by persons or organizations supported by the pharmaceutical industry.

Personally, I have needed extended periods of recovery after anesthesia. My father, whose suffered from ischemic dementia took a decline in mental skills after anesthesia for prostate surgery ( 3+ hours) My mother took a similar decline after major abdominal surgery at the age of 84.

Many surgical procedures can be completed under local or spinal anesthesia. Abdominal surgeries need more intense anesthesia to stop the diaphragm from moving.

Some propose use of a brain activity monitor to limit the over use of anesthetics. Worth talking to your anesthesiologist before any surgery.

There was a thorough discussion of this on a different forum but I can not find the thread.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote