View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
If I recall correctly, it was any stretch of the scalene muscles because they are attached to the first rib. The concern is that the first rib will be pulled further higher and reduce the space between the collar bone and the rib.

If you do a Google image search on "scalene" you will see which muscles these are and what they attach to. You can also watch the video. Also there is a text transcript below the video. It includes this:

(He also emphasizes that the patient must correct all postural problems that are involved or they will not get better permanently.)

On the other hand, the physical therapy (PT) people seem to recommend stretching those muscles in order to loosen them.

I am neither a chiro nor a PT and am only sharing what I've been hearing. Since I'm trying a chiro and he stated that side neck stretches were off limits, I'm following that course of advice.

Best regards.
Well i can see what they mean , but this has just left me very confused as my PT recommends that streching the scalene muscle will help the situation.

When i strech the scalene i Put my thumb on the first rib and press down on it and look the other way, i can actually feel the first rib and its not moving. Also if i press down hard enough on my first rib i can feel it lower very slighty, after all my PT sessions he has done a good job loosening up the first rib thats why this all possible.

So im wondering now, do i continue with the scalene streches or not?
hellothere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote