View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

First thing comes to my mind, since I have kids, is the Wii and the Wii Fit board. It has balance exercises where the board is measuring how much weight is on each leg, and whether you are centered or forward or back on your feet or what. It also has you shift and hold your balance while you watch where your weight is on the screen. It also has fun stuff like ski jumping where you have to hold a centered crouch while "going down the slope" and then lift your weight (sudden stand up) and hold while you "fly" down the hill until you land, the better you do all this, the farther your jump. Among many other activities. Probably cheaper than official medical devices, and a lot more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappednerve View Post
Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows about this.

I have read somewhere that exercising a denevrated leg (ie one with sciatica) won't strengthen the leg- or I forget exactly what it said. My current physiotherapist also says that exercising the leg is a waste of time until the nerves are working correctly- but then again, he is pushing IMS and I no longer believe anyone 100%- no offence to them but I just don't. Does anyone here have an opinion or any information?.

The thing is that my left leg is now about 20% weaker than my right leg. And I am trying to be optimisitic but what if the nerves don't start working properly again? A 20% deficit may not sound like a big deal but over time it is- I don't really stand up properly on the leg and that is causing my spine to curve, which in turn I bet will make the radiculopathy even worse. Also, I think I take smaller steps forward with my left leg so my pelvis is twisted and so is my spine.

So I would like to try to get the leg back up as strong as my right leg with additional exercise. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, another physiotherapist I am seeing is having me do just basic shallow squats to help train my legs to bend equally and share my weight equally. But for me it is so frustrating because it is hard to tell when/if my weight is being evenly distributed between my 2 feet because my left foot is a little numb.

I have complained about this to her and asked about some kind of WII-type feedback device that could measure the weight on each foot. But she just said it is better without because I need to learn how to do it on my own. But she just does not seem to understand- if I could practice on some type of device, the rest of my body (like my hips etc) would learn where they should be. I really think a device would be helpful. I have goggled this and found something callled "force plates" but they seem only used in univeristies and are probably really expensive. Does anone have any information on any type of device?

thanx
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote