View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just checked with my son, who is 13, and therefore an expert on such matters. Yes, the Wii is going to be discontinued soon because they are going to be coming out with the Wii-U, etc etc etc.

However, he just checked for us, and you can get the Wii console and Wii Fit with balance board, for $240 at Gamestop.com or Gamestop stores, new. They also sell refurbished ones for less, and if you get it from them, then it has some warranty also even tho it is used. So check a few sources if price is a concern.

In Wii Fit, the Body Test has the just watch your balance function. Some of the Yoga poses might also be good, you get to watch the red dot for your balance as well, and if you do the poses, then you are practicing/monitoring your balance with arms up, reaching/leaning over, stuff like that that applies to real life. (I know, I'm 48, not like I'm going to actually go skiing or ski jumping, but hey, when no one's watching, it can be kind of fun...don't tell my kids I said that.)

I got clobbered in a major car accident over a year and a half ago. I got lots of problems, and they don't seem to be going away. So does hubby. But we are alive, and so is my daughter who was also in the car (and not quite 8 at the time), so it could be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappednerve View Post
wow winic1, I am sorry you have it so hard with your body. Myself, I just turned 50 and I guess this- radiculopathy-or whatever it is - is Mother nature's menopausal gift to me. I am really freaked out over all of this and reading the posts here, migod you guys have it bad and I am so scared. My own mother is 86 and still plays tennis 3 times a week. All she ever had was a few months of neck pain for which the doctor prescribed valium (That was when she was 50- my age now). So I wasn't expecting this. Anyway- long story, I may have in fact had scoliosis my whole life without knowing it until now.

So I am sorry you are having it so hard but you seem to have a good attitude and that is commendable.

I went to Futrueshop today to see about the wii and the salesman interupted me before I could even finsih the sentance saying the wii is so terrible and that they will be discontinuing the balance board etc, so I need to buy it asap- that will be $300 in all for the board and the Nintendo.

winic1, can I ask you if there is an option to just stand on it and watch where the red dot marking the centre of the weight is? I don't really want to play games, I just want to stand on it and do squats. I think they have an option of just standing on it for 3 minutes? Could I just do that? I would like to just stand on it while doing work at a high table- have the tv in the background just showing where the red dot is all the time.
Do you think it can do that?

thanx
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote