View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jacquie View Post

I really want to be more pro-active with his care, but HH is really not likely to take any med suggestions from me. I know his (and my) pdoc is well versed in all the new meds, and knows him better than the docs he is being treated by in HH.
Hi,

He should be taking med suggestions only from his pdoc. You can help him keep a mood journal / mood chart (some are on-line) and make observations.

You need to be working with his pdoc and tdoc. I would not take him home until he was on board with your having am ability to talk to his docs -- every doc. Has he signed the HIPAA paperwork so that you can talk to his caregivers?

Here are the meds you listed.
Quote:
hopes of them giving him a try on another bipolat med, such as Ability, Lamictal, Geodon, etc. Here are the psych meds he is currently on: Depakote (1500 mgs,), Zoloft (25mgs, but he had been on 250 mgs for the past several years), Risperdal (2mg tid),Trazadone (50 at bedtime), and Vistaril (not sure dose, but it is PRN). The rest of his meds are for BP, w/ Zocor and Plavix, Claritin thrown in, too.
The success and failure of meds can depend on a person's age. Does your husband have a pdoc with experience working with patients who are 60?
I have not taken these meds but I am free to comment anyway :

Abilify and Geodon -- both have anti=depressant qualities.

Lamictal -- not the best med. It barely passed the drug trials (and only with lots of finagling by the drug company. It works for some people who are depressed. It can be agitating.

This site is useful except the pdoc admits to getting paid to study Lamitcal:
http://www.psycheducation.org/depres...ds/2ndGens.htm

Also check http://crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I'm wondering if the pdoc would lower a dose a bit for him.
The meds are keeping him out of mania apparently. Now he is depressed. Is that right?

M.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-09-2011), Dmom3005 (08-09-2011)