View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jacquie View Post
He doesn't ACT like a person that needs to be involuntarily committed. His thinking is clear, as is his judgement. He's nothing like he was when he first arrived!?

Hi,

What are the criteria for
1. getting admitted
2. keeping a patient?

This varies from state to state.

For admittance they all have something about potential for harm to self and others. Some states add something about being able to manage their day to day activities.

Keeping a patient is a different sent of criteria I believe -- probably has to do with progress in the first set.

=-=-
I had a family member who was in a state hospital for a while (six months or a year maybe ---- I was not close to her at the time.) The social workers and other care givers had to approve her home situation. They wanted to make sure that she would continue to improve after she left the hospital.

You need to talk to the professionals. We are professional patients. .. .. . not the same thing.
Maybe go directly to the chief pdoc of the facility/ies.
You are mostly asking legal questions.

in most states, no pdoc can keep a patient more than 72 hours unless the pdoc gets approval from a judge. Mental patients have these civil rights since the laws went on the books in the 1960s and 1970s -- mostly the 1970s for what we are talking about here.

M
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-09-2011), Dmom3005 (08-09-2011), Just Jacquie (08-09-2011)