View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Aww Doydie. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

IF it happens that you have ON, treatment may be different to what I had because doctors seem to have differing opinions. I have had Prednisolone tablets in the past, but I believe thoughts are against that now, and I read somewhere that oral Prednisolone is no longer used in ON. I had IV Methyl Pred over 3 days for one attack, and I have ridden the others out without any steroids at all. For me, the ON lasted about 6 weeks if I had no treatment at all, and maybe a week with cortisone.

Your doctor should do an Ophthalmoscopy. During this examination, he'll shine a bright light into your eye and examines the structures at the back of your eye. This eye test evaluates the optic disk, which is the area where the optic nerve enters the retina in your eye. The optic disk becomes swollen in about one-third of people with optic neuritis.

I did not have any drops put in my eye because my neuro could see my optic nerve without them. He did do eye tests though, especially the color blindness one because with ON, some color perception is altered.

Even if you don't have eye drops, I think you should definitely take your DH with you. You should not be driving yourself anyway and you're going to need emotional support. Another pair of ears is always a good idea too, just incase you can't remember everything your neuro tells you.

He may order further tests like a MRI and maybe a test of the optic nerves, called VEP (Visual evoked potentials test).

Try not to worry too much. The diagnosis part is important and he won't do anything to you that'll hurt.
Sending hugs

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (08-10-2011), Kitty (08-10-2011), SallyC (08-10-2011)