View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 07:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Dvora ~ I'm sorry you're in such pain. I know what it's like. I've had 2 open surgeries for herniated discs, and it's no picnic.

There are different treatments for herniations. You should do the LEAST invasive treatment -- stay conservative!!! Physical therapy CAN help alot with herniations. They teach you gentle exercises, plus show you how to strengthen your back so you won't herniate any other discs. Some doctors recommend steroid injections, but many times these don't work. If your doc wants you to have some, one word of warning --- if the FIRST one doesn't work, the second or third one won't either. So don't let the doc do any more if you don't get relief from the first one. You might want to see a Neurosurgeon for an OPINION only!! Don't let him push you into surgery.

Surgery should be avoided UNLESS your spinal cord is being impinged or there is danger of having permanent nerve damage. Surgery only corrects mechanical problems -- it doesn't correct the pain most of the time. Usually you're left with the same pain or worse after surgery.

If you have sciatica (pain into the hip/leg/foot) the exercises will be beneficial for that too. Pool therapy is especially good. Some people have had accupuncture for pain relief too.

You can also go to a pain management doctor who will try many things to ease your pain. Usually they want to do injections first. Best of luck & keep us posted on how you're doing. God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-11-2011)