Thread: Frustration
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Alice, I'm not so sure Teresa wasn't being "tongue in cheek" when she said that (about the lawyers). I don't think there is anything wrong with asking why a doctor thinks you are well enough to be discharged. That's our right to know and understand.

Back in 1999, I had a sleep study. Afterwards, the organization was not forthcoming with all of my medical records. I asked in writing three times to have them, once in person at the medical records department. When they still wouldn't give them to me, I sent a letter to the CEO saying that I would get a lawyer to get them for me if I didn't receive them in a timely manner. Even the mere mention of a lawyer makes medical organizations go bonkers. Hiring a lawyer, or even thinking about it, in order to get medical records is not suing, it's PURsuing. And pursuant to law, it's our legal right.

I think the knee jerk legal reaction to a patient who is desperate for help - and so obviously needs it - is so sad. I know it's a reality but it's a stupid reality. I don't know of any patients who want to sue a doctor. But when you're in a hospital bed and no one is doing enough to help you, it's simply the most powerless feeling ever. The people who can help you aren't. So about the only power we patients have are patient representatives of the organization or the dreaded mention of "legal assistance."

And, frankly, the protocols in hospitals are not set up to the advantage of patients. So what do we do when "talking" gets us nowhere? Go somewhere else?

I get both sides of this argument but the ONLY discussion should be about how to make a patient better. And if doctors won't fully assess a situation, then they can completely miss the point that a patient indeed needs better care.

I know that you know all of this, Alice, it's simply a topic that gets my ire up. We patients are not the enemy. But we sure as heck deserve more care than what some of us are getting.

That's yet another reason why a health directive/will is so important. In case there is a time when we can't defend ourselves while on a vent!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote