Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I hope it can be helpful to someone.

I found my old post -

top rib mobilization -by excellent PT guy-

He just took the time to do a full hands on evaluation - and I had mentioned the "choking feeling" like my collar bones were being pulled up into my throat - so he said "let me try something"

He stood behind me while I was sitting on the table and pressed with steady firm pressure down on top of my shoulder close to my neck {1 side at a time} just a short time then stepped back and yo see how far that area had lowered {1/2"}- so he did the same to the other side too. it didn't hurt a bit & I immediately felt looser in my neck & it relieved that costoclavical sp? compression. the "choking" and very strained neck feelings.

He also told me how to tell if it popped up again and it did during my PT exercises at a different place.
I had told this other PT about it and he mobilized it with a different technique- diff position but same pressure & area.
He had done eval on me 3 days earlier and didn't check for that even tho I told him of the choking feelings and collarbone pulling into neck feelings.

You might have to just tell them {PT?MD?DC?DO} to check for elevated top rib - they may not check it on their own.

And the chiro did a top rib adjustment a couple times after that but it would feel weird/tilted for a couple days - but then fine & still now.