View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Susan, Thank you for sharing those sites with us. I don't know how much more I'll delve into the surreal Internet world but I'm glad to have some options. I know you are talented and it's good you are sharing that.

Hmmmm . . . you didn't say if that was a good or bad impression, Alice! I'm glad that you had a moment with it. I did the video for the reasons I described but it was more than that. I have been thinking of my own mortality and getting rid of "things" lately. So that's why I left the "things" behind when I panned back through time. It's the people we meet that are so important. That's where the love is, in my opinion.

There are artists' work I love and others I don't. But what I try to do with those I may not like is to find one aspect of their work I can appreciate. Some of the other videos that were entered I did not like but I can appreciate their intent or the work they put into them or the photos, etc.

There is a line that gets blurred in the "social medias" or in real life. There's a big difference between liking or disliking a song's melody or a painting's colors or a politician's views. As in debate, you don't have to tear apart the person to critically examine their "work." And that's a distinction that is often lost on young, impressionable people. And some older people too!

This "urge" to put down people is sad. When someone creates a work of art, whether it is liked by anyone or not, it is their creation. And because it came from them, it should be respected. Respect is not the same as like. No one is ever going to like everything they come in contact with - unless they've had a lobotomy. But every single person has the right to be who they are, no matter if we like it or not. In fact, they should be celebrated for who they are. Maybe kids might grow up to be happy if they were accepted and celebrated.

I was lucky that I had a supportive upbringing. But that doesn't mean I'm not, on occasion, vulnerable to "attacks." It just such a waste of time. The only people who seem to really get something from attacking others are those who are so insecure that they need to feel better by making others feel worse.

I appreciate all of the input on this topic. It's an odd, virtual world. It's great to reach out to you guys who have MG, that's for sure. I don't know what I would've done in 2000 without it, when I first discovered I had ptosis. And we are lucky that the Mods are so great here. Maybe that's what the Internet needs too . . . a few more "parents" for those "kids" who like to act up.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote