View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default I just bought another e-reader

Went to Borders today. The Kobo e-readers were 30% off (covers for them were 40% off)

So, I bought one. (my dad and I pooled our money. Kobo is mostly mine since I pooled in more money than he did.) We're planning on using the Kobo for library e-book borrowing. I'm kind of hoping that I can get my mom to learn how to use the Kobo, so that she can have an e-reader of her own. (if mom doesnt use it, my dad and I will share it) My dad and I thought that one that has library capability would be good. So a clearanced (but brand new) Kobo sounded like a better deal than a brand new, full priced Kindle for my mom.

So far, it's not bad. I'm still waiting for it to charge up, but I've been playing with it and have added a couple of library books to it to see how difficult it was to transfer a borrowed book to it. (surprisingly easy!)

It's a Kobo Wifi (they had one Kobo Touch left, for $90, which was 30% off whatever their original price was... I almost bought that instead) They had like 50 of the plain Kobo Wifi's tho.

It's supposed to have the same screen as the current Kindle, but I think the Kindle screen has better readability. The Kindle looks sharper to me. The Kobo came pre-loaded with 100 "classics". (basically 100 books that they got from Project Gutenberg...yes, they actually say "Project Gutenberg" on the e-books when you open them)

I'm probably going to go back for another cover tomorrow. One I got, I dont really like, but "all sales are final", so I'm stuck with that one. That cover was $10, so it's not that big a deal. They were having a 40% off sale on the covers, so I'll probably go and see if there's anything a little nicer that doesnt use velcro to hold the Kobo in the cover.

I still have to figure out how to add it to our WiFi. We have a hidden SSID (basically people cant see that our wifi is on if they're using a wifi "sniffer" looking for an open connection. If I cant use the wifi here at home, that's no big deal, since I can transfer books with the computer, or just take the Kobo to Panera or McDonald's and use their internet connections.

I guess I do collect gadgets. My dad has a Kindle 2, I have a Kindle 2, a Kindle 3, an iPad and now the Kobo. I'm all excited that I got the Kobo on a fairly good discount tho. Too bad I'll never see any Nooks discounted, otherwise I'd probably have one of those too. (it's just sad how much I'm addicted to gadgets)

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote