View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I want the Nook too...specifically the Nook Color. But, I'm hoping the price will go down. (probably wont. I think the economy will get worse and some serious inflation is going to hit pretty soon and gadgets will become completely unattainable to me)

The Nook Color would be cool, because it'll do basically what my iPad does, but it's smaller and probably easier for tired MS hands to handle. The iPad is heavy compared to the Kindle and the Kobo.

Tonight, I was starting to wonder if I was ever going to get the Kobo to recognize my Wifi set up. Finally got it figured out about a half hour ago. Nice thing about the Kobo, is that I didnt need to put a CC number into it to download a FREE book. (downloaded a book of Robert Burns poetry)

Not sure yet if I'm going to actually buy books from the Kobo store, so I'm not putting any CC numbers into that account until I need to. I'm going to see how useful the Kobo will be for library books.

If I can figure out how to put personal documents into it, I'm going to put an SD card into it and store fan fiction stories I get for free off the internet on it. Have to reformat my SD card and see how it works. That's the other thing I like about it. I can expand the storage from the 1gb (which is half full with the 100 included free books that were pre-loaded on it) up to some yet unknown GB with the SD card. (still trying to figure out what I can do with this thing)

So far, it's a good e-reader. If you cant afford the $114 for the cheapest Kindle, but can swing the $69 for the clearanced Kobo at Borders, I'd probably say go for it. I dont think Kobo's bookstore has the variety that the Kindle bookstore has tho. But, the library access kind of makes up for that (and borrowing library e-books is free)

The Kobo doesnt seem to be as "idiot proof" as the Kindle is. The Kindle pretty much works right out of the box. I had to charge the Kobo for 4 hours and call the Kobo customer service to get it set up.

There's no physical keyboard on the Kobo like the Kindle, which I wasnt sure I liked, but when I had to enter in the passwords and network name to get it on the internet, I really didnt have a problem using the cursor thingie to hunt and peck the letters and numbers. Less actual buttons on the Kobo, so I guess I wont have to worry about wearing out any keyboard keys.

I am sitting here, thinking...what am I going to do with a 3rd e-reader? (fourth if you count my iPad, but I dont really use the iPad as an e-reader) But, I've already read one of my library books and have started on the 2nd. (short stories) That's something that I cant do with my Kindle. I'm going to have to really look at my local library's website and really look for stuff to read, instead of just the books that I already have on my Kindle.

I'm really hoping that I can get my mom to use the Kobo. She needs something to do that will stimulate her mind and keep her active. If I can get her to use the Kobo, she can read library books and keep her brain going.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (08-14-2011)