View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefamilypets View Post
Wow Sandy that is a lot of infusions. I take it they must help you a lot.
So I've tried oral ketamine before and it makes me quite nauseous. I feel like if I eat it helps, but the doctor doing the k infusion won't allow me to eat or drink after midnight the night before. Does your doctor not have that policy?

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear you don't get any spread from the catheter. I'm hoping it will be the same for me. Thanks for sharing!
The nausea valso depends on the person and for some reason seems to have something to do with blood pressure. At least at Dr. schwartzman's they always checked that before they gave out the Zofran. If your's was low, they didn't give it to you unless you asked. I've never gotten nauseous inpatient or outpatient and never taken Zofran. My blood pressure is usually on the lowest end of normal.

As for the set up in the Doctor's infusion suite, it all depends on the doctor. Sandy, that sounds seriously uncomfortable! But of course,what matters most is the ketamine. My doctor does his in a surgical center, I'm no longer going to Dr. Shwartzman. This doctor has one nurse per patient in a private room. You lie back in a recliner, put your Ipod on and in 2 hrs, you're done. I hallucinate even with the Versed but it's never anything negative or scary. They let my husband sit there with me since they know I stay calmer.

For the next infusion we're going to try pushing it from 300 to 350mg per hour for two hours two days in a row.

It is normal protocol to fast from midnight on just like with any anesthesia. I promise you'll be fine. At Dr. Shwartzman's they had a 10 chair infusion suite so I could see 9 other people getting infused all the time. Many of them were afraid of nausea and were given the Zofran, not one ever got sick. If you ever got nauseous at home and need something OTC, try Bonine or Dramamine II, active ingredient is Meclizine (I think that's how it's spelled). I always keep some around in case new meds make me sick or my children feel sick, works great.)

Most important thing to keep in mind with ketamine is that it is a process. Please don't go in there expecting huge results from Day 1. I spent 5 days inpatient in NY, received a total of 3000mg of ketamine over that time yet I didn't really feel and see real improvement until after my first couple of days at home and then with each week and especially with each booster infusion, I got far better to the point the difference in me a year ago today and now is night and day. Just keep your expectations realistic, take it slow, rest and give your body time to heal,nI really can't stress that part enough. The more you rest, the faster you'll heal.

And, DON'T FORGET YOUR IPOD!!!! . You'll be fine, just relax and think nothing but positive thoughts. Please keep us posted!
D

Dawn
Reddawn600 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote