View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 02:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi bhnlh,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear that your husband may be having seizures. I've had absence (petit mal) seizures for over 30 yrs. and just as you mentioned I will stare like someone whose daydreaming, continue to talk and then I will be out of the seizure but I don't remember anything. I will be confused for a few seconds and feel a little tired so take note if your husband ask you simple questions like: "Where am I? " "What day is this?" or "what happened"? Also take note if your husband is wandering around the house is a daze if this is going on it could be a complex partial seizure which I also have.

A few yrs. ago I had a grand mal seizure and it was caused by the seizure med called "Neurontin" the drug messed me up terribly and made my seizures much worse but once I was off the drug the grand mal seizures stopped.

Your husband should see an Epileptologist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy) and have him go to an Epilpesy Center which are usually at University Hospitals or Big Hospitals. The Dr. should do a e.e.g. , CT scan, MRI and a possible video e.e.g. where your husband would be on camera around the clock while in the hospital and the Drs. can see if he's having any seizures.
My advice to you now is to get him on vitamin B12 or B complex vitamins once a day, stay away from aspartame (nutra sweet) and cell phones because these things can cause more electrical activity in the brain and trigger seizures. The vitamin B12 or B complex helps reduce the seizures because it calms the nerves.
Also get a calendar and write down anytime your husband has any type of seizure be sure to write down what time of day/night the seizure happens along with a discription of the seizure. Take note if there's a low pressure in the weather because sometimes a low pressure can trigger a seizure for some people. If you live in the U.S. you can call the Epilepsy Foundation of America at 1-800-332-1000 to get info. about epilepsy and Drs. in your area.
Here's a list of things that can cause epilepsy:
trauma, a bad blow to the head, a bad scare, family genes, drug & alcohol abuse, sleep disorders like sleep apnea, scar tissue on the brain, MS , cerebal palsy, and heart disorders or any kind.
To find the right AED (seizure med) for your husband ask the Dr. to do a DNA test on him by doing the test they will be able to find what AED works the best to control his possible seizures with the least side effects. I wish you and your husband only the best of luck and May God Bless You Both!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote