View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Well, we admitted my niece last night :(

I guess it's a good thing, she is getting the help she needs. I'm so sad for the poor little thing. She is only 14 and she is so lost. I spent the night with her in the emergency room, then they transported her to a facility where they will keep her for the mandatory 3 day watch.

The really sad part was, we couldn't find her mom anywhere! We knew she was at her boyfriends house, but his phone went straight to voice mail and his mail box was full.

I had sat with her mom the night before and told her all about what her daughter was feeling. Put it all on her plate. Then, she leaves the next day and leaves her home alone with her 15 year old brother and his friends.

My niece came to my birthday lunch, and we kept her with us after that, went to my other niece's house to bake cupcakes and watch funny movies. It was sad, you could see that her "light was out"... she just wasn't inside there.

Halfway through the movie, she started crying, and really let herself just go into a full blown panic attack. Then she started with chest pains, trouble breathing, hyperventilating, and passed out.

Because she had been threatening suicide for the last 3 days, we didn't know if she had taken anything or not. We couldn't wake her. We tried water on her face, slapping her face, noogie on her chest bone... nothing would wake her. So we rushed her to the emergency room.

She woke up in the ER. Still by 6am, we couldn't find her mom! It was so sad. The doctor said it was a MANDATORY 5150. They were taking her to the hospital for 3 days and we had to let them. I was happy, because that was what she needed. Her mom wasn't going to help her, and this was the only way she was going to get help. Whether it was faked, or real, it was a big SCREAM for help!

When my brother called her mom, (who finally came home at 10am) to get details, she said "this is too stressful, I don't know what to do with her, you need to take her, here talk to your son!" (his son is the 15 year old who she would have been left with, if I hadn't kept her with me).

I talked to my brother this morning, gave him the whole scoop... he lives in Minnesota (job transferred him there) and we live in CA. He desperately wants his daughter to come and live with him and his wife. She is a stay at home mom, (they have a 2 and 3 year old). I was mad at him, but we put that aside to help his daughter. He has a house with a room for her.

I think it would be best for her to move. However, as a teenage girl, about to enter high school, moving across the country is pretty traumatic. But realistically, so is attempting suicide and spending 3 days in the hospital! I think it's time for some dramatic changes in her life!!!!!!!!

What do you guys think?

Peripheral Neuropathy Since 2004
Learning to give my mind and body the care and feeding it needs to serve me to the fullest, so I can continue to be here with my family and friends.
SeamsLikeStitches is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (08-15-2011), Alffe (08-14-2011), barbo (08-15-2011), Dude111 (08-16-2011), Lara (08-17-2011)