View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTTF View Post
Bothers me more than most other PD problems - can't eat what I want, when I want.

I have a "slow stomach" most protein meals take 4 to 5 hours to clear. And it seems that about everything has protein in it. Munched on a few potato chips before getting out of bed this morning. Took 45 minutes longer than the normal 25-30 minutes for my first Sinemet to kick in.

Yep checked the bag .... 2 G of protein per serving! Potato chips!

I take Sinemet every 90 minutes - so this a real pain in the hindend.

Anyone else "protein sensitive?'
sure, protein interferes with my sinemet. i assume it's in two places, in the small intestine and the bbb, both places from my understanding use active transport to move neutral amino acids. so from what i understand certain amino acids compete for the same transporters as l-dopa. i think it's the amino acids that you ingest than just the amount of protein that matters.

i get a very predictable and adequate affect from 100mg sinemet in the a.m. when i take it 30min before a meal but less predictable in the afternoon.

and if i know i need to leave the house in the evening, i'll eat a very small dinner or no dinner or an earlier dinner to reduce the protein/food affect affect.

http://www.parkinsondisease.com/la_m...entazione.html
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote