View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Melody and Darlene

Thank you so much for your welcome. I really appreciate it. I'm totally new to this forum thing (*admin edit*), but it is quite clear that NeuroTalk is an amazing place. When I am able, I hope to start a thread about "the death of psychiatry and mental illness and their rebirth as psychoneurology".

Neurotransmitter problems in the Amygdala have now been found to be associated with GAD, OCD, addictions (including alcoholism), Endogenous Depression, Schizophrenia, Autism and many other "psychiatric illnesses" and behavioural abnormalities. Once there is recognition through validated scientific research that most "psychiatric disorders" and mental illness have a genuine neurological basis, the world will change for people like me, as drug companies will seek remedies for the root cause(s), rather than for the symptoms.

In my case (as with perhaps 25 to 40% of 'later-onset' alcoholics), I didn't need counselling to help my alcoholism, I needed proper medical treatment of my GAD.

High-dose Baclofen has 2 effects. It eliminates the cravings of coming off alcohol, and it simultaneously calms my Amygdala down by replacing my deficient GABAB (a neurotansmitter), so significantly helping my GAD with OCD elements. The ultimate double-whammy for people such as me!!

I now run a dedicated Baclofen / Alcoholism / Anxiety practice based in the UK where I treat people such as me. They are almost aged 35 to 50, highly intelligent, and successful. But they have a proper, physical, progressive, potentially fatal medical disease. And no amount of counselling, AA or anything else had made the remotest bit of difference. Just like counselling an MS sufferer would not relieve their symptoms and signs.

I have great success with this cohort of alcoholism sufferers, with most significantly improved within the first 6 weeks of my 12-week Programme.

Interesting stuff!!!

Last edited by Chemar; 08-15-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: NT Guidelines
Dr Phill is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote