View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Desert Flower, are you taking any steroids?

I only ask because there is NO diabetes on either side of my family, for as far back as I can remember. Even though I am as big as a house, my sugar levels have ALWAYS been within a normal range (I'm 50).

That is, until I started on Steroids.

Even though I am only on 10mg/day, my blood sugar numbers went into the pre-diabetic range within a month of me starting on them. There is such a thing as "Steroid-induced Diabetes", according to my doctors.

Diabetes is an auto-immune disease, even though people will try to tell you it is associated with obesity. (Personally, I think that obesity is ALSO an auto-immune disease, but that's a whole other subject.....)

SID still has to be treated like any other diabetes - strictly limit the amount of carbohydrates that you consume (grains, especially), and MAKE SURE that you are eating plenty of good fats (real butter, cheese, cream, etc.) and proteins (fatty red meat, bacon, etc.).

There is a LOT of evidence out there that if we restrict our fat intake, our chance of developing diabetes increases significantly. There is a reason that schoolchildren have such high levels of diabetes and obesity; nobody's willing to admit that what they've been telling us all these years is DEAD (literally) wrong.....

Do you drink diet sodas or use artificial sweeteners? There was a study that came out in April, 2009 - that got NO press, by the way - that indicated a very strong correlation between using artificial sweeteners (just once a week) and development of Type II Diabetes (and none whatsoever between REAL sugar/HFCS and TIID). This study was done using data from the MESA study (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis), which has over 6000 participants from heart centers all across the country. It's not a fly-by-night study. And it wasn't set up to look at diabetes/sweetener correlations, so there was no "ulterior" motive in gathering this data. As a matter of fact, the people who did the study were SHOCKED to make the discovery that they did, and are going back to see "what they did wrong", because they are all quite convinced that what they found can't possibly be right.....(sheesh!)

P.S. That gluten-free diet can eliminate diabetes in some folks as well.....

(I'll see if I can find that sweetener article - I switched computers a few months ago, and still haven't recovered all of the stuff from the old one......)

Last edited by teresakoch; 08-15-2011 at 10:49 AM.
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote