View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 03:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Teresa,

Thank you for the info!

The only medication I take is Mestinon, and I've never taken steroids. It is a little odd that eating more fatty foods is helpful for diabetes, but at the same time it does make sense. I don't eat very much meat, mostly because it is so expensive to buy meat that doesn't have antibiotics or chemicals added. Maybe I should try eating more meat, it is one of the few things I have no allergy to. I do eat a lot of healthy oils such as olive oil and butter.

I don't drink soda at all, it gives me an immediate bladder or even kidney infection, don't know why but I avoid the stuff, even one swallow of it gives me pain.

And all those artificial sweeteners I avoid...every once in a while I do have a piece of gum but I've been trying to avoid that, too, because they aggrivate my MG symptoms.

I am going to go completely gluten free, I don't know why I keep doubting myself and trying gluten containing foods again. It is interesting to note that a gluten free diet can help diabetes.

The Mestinon is driving me crazy...my family is even starting to ask me if I recently took Mestinon if I do something odd. It makes me feel bad when they ask that question after I express an emotion, such as feeling sad or angry, as if my emotions are not real, but Mestinon induced. The Mestinon makes me really emotional, paranoid and even suspicious....when I can, I avoid people for a few hours afterward.

I am considering asking my Neurologist if I can lower my Mestinon dose even further. I have found that with diet changes I have gotten my symptoms more stable, and would like to see if I could go Mestinon free even if it means being weak. To be honest, these emotional problems are a bigger issue for me right now than the weakness. Of course, I don't want to be bedriddden again, that was no fun not being able to move at all...but I'd like to feel sane again, too. I wonder if it is possible for MG to get stable enough to stop taking Mestinon...

Thank you!

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote