View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default When are side effects worse than relief from the medication?

Okay, after a year (at least) of being 'bound' up (constipated), I had a heart to heart with the pharmacist I know well (store was empty, so she had time to talk today).

I explained my situation, and what I've tried. I can't have a B.M. for days at a time. At it's peak, 6 days without a B.M. Sorry if it's TMI, but that's my life.

I mentioned that I suspected Cesamet (synthetic THC) to be the culprit. She acknowledged right away what others (doctor/pharmas) didn't: Cesamet is notorious for constipation. She even said some doctors prescribe stool softener (which I already take, and have been taking, for some time) with the medication.

Long story short, this medication has been sent from the heavens for:

1. Controlling the lump of pain that encompasses a good portion of the left side of my head.
2. Seemingly reducing my Trigeminal Neuralgia attacks, and the severity of (though this could be a combination of both the Cesamet and Clonazepam).

I took a bunch of other medications, and none gave me relief like Cesemet.

Okay, so back to the bowel... the pharmacist was wide eyed when I told her all I've done, and how long it actually takes for my body to respond. She's no doctor, nor am I, but I can imagine the body not clearing for days on end isn't healthy at all.

So... what do I do? Do I keep at the medication and accept that this is what helps unbearable pain, enough so I can work, but leaves me constipated without fail? Do I reduce the amount of medication until the pain returns, then re-up the dose (Cesamet is not habit-forming like Clonazepam, it's the complete opposite really)? Do I flat out give up on the medication and suck up the pain?

I never was a cannabis user regularly in my younger days.. and gave it up years ago (recreational use). I know people who are at it daily, for health or miscellaneous reasons. In any case, I'm wondering...

... does the plant versus the synthetic make a world of difference when it comes to the drying effect on the body?

I know mj gives the 'pasties' (dry mouth). Is anyone able to confirm if the pure plant (not synthetic) causes such binding?

I ask too because I was originally prescribed Sativex, which is now 70% covered by my insurance (still very very expensive medication), and it's the pure form of the plant, versus synthetic, so I'm wondering if a medication change could help?

Thanks for listening
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (08-16-2011), SallyC (08-15-2011)