View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawtcrav View Post
I have osteo arthritis (OA) in my hips, knees, ankles, lower cack and cervical spine. I have been offered a full knee replacement but refused. I am in constant pain and on most days I walk very awkwardly. However, when I manic I can overcome the pain or should I say disregard it. Unfortunately I pay the price when I get down. Usually it warrants a week in the house with a very low mood and aching body.
Has anyone else experienced this which one could say it mimics "mind over matter"
Hi lawtcrav,

You might get more responses if you start your own thread in the main section below.

If your concern is how to explain to SSA that at times you are able to be more active despite the pain, I would focus on the fact the you pay the price with increased pain afterwards, that your manic periods are unpredictable so you cannot schedule work when they occur, and the aspects of bipolar that contribute to and complicate your disability, like the poor impulse control, poor judgement, tendency to spend money that you can't afford, and inability to concentrate.

Increased physical activity during periods of mania is a symptom of that disorder, not a sign that your physical limitations aren't valid.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote