View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 AM
BlueCarGal

BlueCarGal

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
It's not how much you drink, it's what it does to you when you drink that tells the tale. And people who aren't alcoholic don't wonder if they are.

I've been sober coming up on 24 years on May 5th. I could always stop, but I just couldn't stay stopped and I never drank because I was an alcoholic. I drank to calm my nerves, to make me feel better when I was sad, to celebrate things, to grieve things, because I was angry, because I was happy, because I was sad, and because "you" made me do it. Never because I was an alcoholic. But then when it quit working, I had to admit I'm an alcoholic and it was the best thing that ever happened to me as well as the hardest thing I've ever done----besides quitting smoking.
I lurk around here a bit when I'm missing AA.

You coulda signed MY name to this, Grizabella, shown it to me in a couple weeks telling me it was my statement, and my only comment would have been, "Well, there's a typo. AA's birthday's May 9th, not the 5th."

My story! You're telling my story!

Don't know how many times I've heard that in AA meetings around the country since 1993. A lot.

JASPAR, everyone's body chemistry differs, but listen to these folks. However the outward details may vary, what alcohol does to every body is essential the same. There are lots of "open" AA meetings, & believe it or not you'll hear laughter there (go find out why). .C.G.