View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Okay, let's talk about me getting a new motherboard and more Ram. Yeah, I did that. And here's why I don't trust what he did. I have a HP Pavillion Media Center. when I got the computer back and I knew he put a new motherboard in, well, when I boot up the computer it says:

COMPAQ

Now when I asked him about this, if you think I understood what he said, forget it. It worked great for a while, then the DVD Lightscribe thing stopped playing dvds. So that doesn't work.

What happens now is I'll be on Mozilla Firefox and I'll be on the internet and it all goes away. Then I have to reboot.

Or....God forbid we have been on the internet and we go off, it won't bring up Mozilla or Internet Explorer. I have to re-boot and then I can go on the internet.

Unless we leave it on and we're online, if we should go off the internet, it will never let us go back on, unless we re-boot.

That is VERY annoying.

I have no idea why, when I click on an icon of either Mozilla or Internet Explorer it just does nothing. That's when I need to reboot.

Oh, sometimes it won't let me do the shut down thing. You know, go to start, select "shut off computer"

I will select this and it just stays on.

To turn it off, I often have to press and hold the power switch for about 5 seconds.

We got this computer in 2005.

So why would it say COMPAQ when it boots up??

Any ideas?
And how do I find out if my present computer as a wireless card.

The reason I ask is I just might want to use this as MY computer. Putting it in my bedroom, fooling around with it, re-formatting it, and if I put a router in the living room (when I get a new computer), I could use this to go online and not have to go into the living room. But I know I would have to have a wireless card right?

Could I have one installed and not know it? How do I find this out?

Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote