Thread: my new gait
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-eyes View Post

I would suggest you see someone, tho. Hyperextension of the knee repeatedly during the day, which you would get simply from walking, can cause damage to the joints over time. You most likely need an assistive device to help protect your joints during this period of time, along with some instructions on safe gait.

Good luck.
See, that's exactly why this board is so valuable. I can get information from the doctor, but not if it didn't occur to me that I need to bring the problem to the doctor in the first place! I do notice that I'm straining something by hyperextending the knee--something feels pulled. But it didn't occur to me that this could cause me trouble later. Now that you say it, it makes a lot of sense. Thanks very much.

I am using a rollator whenever I go out (which, unfortunately, is a lot less often than before). It gives me some support, but since my arms are weak, too, it's not really ideal. Most important, it allows me to sit frequently in a department store, so as to preserve my strength.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote