View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 07:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Running out of options and spinal conditions worsening

Initially had a cervical herniation (C5 and C6) about 3 years ago. I don't recall what caused it but may have been a combination of over-exercising and sitting on a chair all day at work. I've had constant pressure at the base of the skull. Pain, burning, numbness in my left arm/hands. Pain between the shoulder blades, etc.

For the past 3 years I've been trying to make the best of the condition I'm in. Tried an epidural injection and did not like it at all. Physical therapy didn't help much.

I recently went to 3 separate doctors to see what I could do about my situation.

The first doctor told me I needed to get surgery immediately (laser endoscopic discectomy). The 2nd doctor told me I should probably get a fusion done. The 3rd doctor told me it would probably if I didn't do either and to just to live and manage the pain. Told me that with laser surgery it's still relatively new and there is not enough medical evidence to back it up. Told me there is also a big risk of scar tissue forming. And ultimately that the risks of surgery could possibly make things worse.

To make matters worse I think the conditions may have worsened. To try and keep myself in shape I did some light cardio and some pushups to try and maintain a healthy body. I asked multiple doctors and they mentioned pushups shouldn't be an issue. But lately, my whole arm is numb when I wake up now and the pain frequently travels to my right arm (it never did in the past). I think I may have injured my lumbar (possible herniation?) as well as I have back pains and my left leg frequently has a burning sensation.

I'm about at my wit's end right now. My body is getting worse and I've been very depressed lately. I just feel like lying in bed all day and not moving around. I don't feel that I'm that old yet (30) and already my body is falling apart.

I guess I'm just looking for some help/answers as I'm completely lost right now.
swy05 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote