View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 08:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I got my concussion 2nd semester of my freshman year of college. I couldn't take a semester off or I would have to wait a year...just the way my school works. Anyways, my GPA went way down. I was a 3.8 without trying in highschool and a little above that in my first semester of college. Then I hit my head and it went down to close to a 2.0. I stuck it out and the GPA has gone up each semester, this past semester was the first since the accident without a C. A great improvement.
As far as studying, well. I study hard, but I also take lots of breaks. I was lucky because I became best friends with a girl who suffers from migraines. We would hang out watching movies quietly together in our room or simply laying in the dark together when our pain was too bad. We looked over each others essays and would discuss our homework so that we could remember it better. It was great because we did not feel like we were imposing on the other one because we were both so ill.
Freshman year I was extremely active. I started a ballroom dance club which met every week. I was not able to participate after my concussion, but it continued without me. My friends have pretty much forgotten my accident and they just think that I am a little reclusive. That is OK with me. I still go out when they are planning things that I can do, and I try to organize a couple things like camp fires, movies, etc. that I can do and they will enjoy.
Studies are a little harder, but as long as I pace myself and take the time off that I need, it is fine. A lot of times I go to classes all day and then I sleep until dinner and then study until about 10:30 and then sleep until about 7:30am. It is the schedule that keeps me able to cope.

Good Luck and God Bless!
A Fellow College Student
Margarite
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote