View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
Thanks for sharing. How is the PT going?

Also, where did you take the Alexander Technique classes if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the LA area as well.
Well I really only started PT in earnest this week due to some scheduling conflicts with my therapist. So, after two sessions I definitely feel less tight in the upper body but still feel tight in all the usual places (scalenes, pecs, below clavicle). She has given me some breathing exercises (basically lying on back doing deep diaphragmatic breathing). She has also incorporated some very light theraband resistance for my upper back. When I do these exercises, I have to focus on my breathing so as to minimize incorporating my scalenes and SCM. It's quite an effort to do this and I find that looking in a mirror really helps. I also lie on my back on a foam roll to stretch my pecs but this seems to really bring on he coldness in my hands so she will probably have to modify this. I have bilateral subclavian artery compression and ulnar nerve compression. My symptoms are still about the same, they have not flared from all the manual therapy and light exercises. They also haven't improved but at least they haven't gotten worse!

As for the Alexander Technique lessons, I'm in Orange County, and found a lovely older woman who has been teaching for 20+ years. Her name is Phyllis Gilmore. She has an amazing ability to sense tightness in the body. Her hands could be on my arm and she'll know that I'm tense in my left hamstring (or somewhere nowhere near my arm!). I can ask her for recommendations in the LA area if you'd like. Is there a particular area in LA? I'm still taking lessons about once a week and they really have taught me a lot. I am still amazed at how, with her guidance, I am able to inhibit my tension when I'm in a lesson. The lessons have taught me to become more aware of the overall tension in my body. While I'm still working on how to inhibit on my own, I've learned quite a bit. I highly recommend taking a few classes and have an open mind and be willing to "let go." It's hard at first but you will get the hang of it.

I've also had a few massages over the last few weeks and they've helped as well. Make sure to ask your massage therapist if they've worked on TOS. I found one that has slight case of TOS herself as does her significant other. She spends a very heavenly hour massaging pretty much every muscle in the upper body with a heavy emphasis on pecs (minor and major), scalenes, subscapularis, traps, rhomboids. She also throws in a little active release when I can tolerate it. In case you are going to get a massage, I think it would be awkward if a man was massaging my pecs/chest region the way she does so I would request a woman.

Anyhow, I've rambled on...off to do some deep breathing!