View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi swy05,

Y'know how you got different opinions from different doctors? Same thing can (& does) happen with physical therapists, and also like doctors, there are bad ones, good ones, and better ones.

I have similar problems - cervical & lumbar discs. The first few go-arounds with PT didn't help at all, so I gave up. Later on down the line, I happened to get a therapist who knew a little more, and was better at communicating with patients. In my case, this PT had me doing seated chin tucks (because I had lousy posture sitting at a desk for years). It hurt like heck (HECK, I TELL YA! ) at first, but sticking with it for several months made the difference. This therapist was the only one to explain that, and that it would seem things would get worse before they got better - and they did. Eventually some things got corrected, and some of the pain is much better as a result.

My experiences with surgeons were similar to yours as well. The one I have the most confidence in warned me away from cervical surgery because the risks (being left the same or worse) aren't justified statistically. In time (years) some natural healing has occured, but some further deterioration has as well. Has anyone mentioned DDD (Degenerative Disc Disease)? That's what many of us have, and what many of us weren't told is that DDD is/can be the result of osteoarthritis. (They told me I had severe OA - they just didn't tell me about the cause/effect).

You're at the beginning of a journey - possibly a long one. Learn as much as you can about whatever they tell you. Ask questions. There are a lot of people here and on other groups going through the same/similar, and we're all helping each other. I can say that my learning curve has increased tremendously with the internet and these groups, and my quality of life is better for it.

Try not to lie in bed - staying mobile is better, even if less active than before. Some supplements may help - Glucosamine/Chondroitin for one.

Hang in there!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote