Thread: migraines
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Here's my question posed to "Ask the Doctor" on the NPF forum:

Over the last two years, when my young-onset PD motor symptoms became more noticeable (rigidity, bradykinesia, fine motor skill problems, some dystonia) I also started having more frequent and severe migraine headaches. I've read that there is no connection between PD and migraines, yet many, many people with PD seem to have them. (It's recently been a big topic on another discussion board.) What is your take on this issue? And could things related to PD like stress, lack of sleep, etc. contribute? Thanks.

Dr. Okun's response:

Absolutely and this is an excellent point.

The term headache is a real grab-back term that can mean a lot of things. I have noticed that when meds are not optimized or there is wearing off people can have subjective funny feeling in the head, and headache or headachy like symptoms. Sometimes optimizing meds helps. I have also noticed agonists can sometimes cause headaches. Finally, I have been burned with people who have low blood pressure and autonomic problems presenting with headaches.

Interestingly the patients that come to mind with many of these problems are younger!

Nice thoughts, thank you.

I asked a follow-up question requesting further explanation regarding the low blood pressure and autonomic problems in relation to headaches and PD. My blood pressure has always been low, usually 110/70 or lower so I find this interesting...

Todd
PDTalks.com

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote