View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 01:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

We have a cat, a little female tortoiseshell, Ferrari, who is prone to eye infections. We learned from the vet that when we first start to see goop at the corner of the eye, to wash it off with warm water several times a day, stroking down towards the nose to help unblock the tear duct. Most of the time this keeps it from going to a full-blown infection.

Of course, washing a kitty's face is not necessarily something they readily cooperate with. Ya gotta kinda sneak attack from behind sometimes, and I've found that a wetted tissue folded over several times to be thick works better than a washcloth, smaller and easier to maneuver as you grab and dab.

Good luck! Hope it gets better on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
My 7 year old orange male cat, Tigger, has what I think to be an eye infection in his left eye. It's watering and has had a little bit of a discharge from the corner but not too much. It was a little red yesterday but seems less so today.

I've been giving him Clavamox tablets (2 per day) and he's had 1 full day of this antibiotic. I wasn't able to get this mornings dose down his throat but I'm now thinking that was good because he threw up his lunch and would have lost it anyway.

He's eating, playing, going potty....everything seems normal except his eye is runny. At first I thought my younger cat had batted him in the eye and irritated it and that could still be the cause of it.....but his eye didn't seem to be scratched.

I'm wondering if I should just continue the antibiotic until at least Saturday and then, if he's not better, take him in. I just don't want to spend $100 I don't have for them to tell me his eye is irritated and give me another prescription for Clavamox when I already have some here.

Believe me, this cat will go to the doctor before I do. He's my baby.....but he of course hates the cat carrier and the car ride and I'm trying to avoid it if at all possible. The $$$ is also a factor but I'd find a way to take him if he needed to go. Right now he seems fine except for the watery eye.

Looking for suggestions.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (08-18-2011), Lara (09-01-2011)