View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 05:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Rrae.

My husband had his implant fitted in 2003. There was a trial going on at a local hospital and even though he didn't fit the criteria they said they would fit it anyway. He had the trial fit then they fitted it permanently. He wasn't happy as he felt the surgeon cutting him and he had to go and make phone calls asking what to do next It worked for a few weeks but then it started to become unstable and caused him more pain. The clinic wouldn't believe there was a problem until they checked it and found a lead casing was cracked. They said they could change the lead. He was reluctant as having it fitted the first time left him in so much pain I had to take him to A&E for a pain killing jab.

He had the lead replaced in 2004. Again it worked for a few weeks and then failed again. It would change levels without the controller being anywhere near him. He went to see the nurse who tried to reset it. It worked for three weeks and then the site of the stimulation moved. He contacted the hospital on numerous occasions and they never got back to him. Finally in November 2005 after we wrote a letter outlining all that had happened, they finally saw him. The lead was damaged again! they wanted to replace it again but he flatly refused as he had had enough and wished it had never been fitted. They switched it off, supposedly.

Every now and again the implant would switch itself on. One day it took him about 10 minutes to walk 50 feet as he had to take a step between each pulse.

Then last year he was finally sent to a pain clinic at another hospital. They assessed him and decided on a plan of action. He cannot take oral pain medication as he has quite severe acid reflux. They tried him on pain patches, hardly worked and bad side effects. They want to try him on medication that is given to epileptics but they won’t until he is referred again for his reflux. He asked the surgeon at the clinic if he could have the implant removed, they agreed straight away and didn’t push him to have the leads replaced. He actually asked if they could remove his leg as it was that causing most if his problems. They said no.

So last Wednesday a very nice team removed the offending article.

Sorry for the long ramble but this is the first time I have come across people who have these implants. I am interested in knowing if others have had failures. Apparently the surgeon remove two that day so I can’t help thinking they are not all successful.
bobbob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (08-20-2011), ron h (08-21-2011), Rrae (08-21-2011)