View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Red face risk-taking test and mood aspects

53 - "sensation-seeking"

i had a few problems with this test, as indeed i encounter with similar tests. there wasn't a good "fit" for many of the questions. some questions i couldn't relate to one way or another. a big problem however, is that my answers to certain of the questions would have to be polar opposites depending on my "state" at a given time.

Quote:
Sensation-seekers thrive on new, intense, and varied situations. Their personalities are associated with risk-taking because sensation-seeking drives individuals to seek out highly stimulating experiences, which often include risk. Sensation-seekers have strong positive reactions to intense stimuli. While there are many constructive aspects of this personality type, those with this trait often take more risks, are more impulsive, and become bored more easily. In certain ways, a sensation-seeking personality is an asset - such individuals thrive on stress, action, uncertainty, and challenge. In other ways, it is a liability - they may take outlandish risks. Low sensation-seekers, on the other hand, are reliable, can handle monotony, and prefer to sleep on their decisions. They avoid novel and stimulating experiences.

You scored in the mid-range in sensation-seeking. You need a moderate level of excitement and stimulation - not too little, not too much. You could probably handle both new situations and monotony, although neither extreme is ideal for you. Your moderate need for stimulation makes you a versatile employee.
most (all?) of my "risk-taking" behavior has been in manic episodes, esp. as a consequence of prolonged ones, combined with weird/stressful work environment and/or idealizing something and/or someone to the point of chasing it across a continent (and no, that's not how i got here)... to no avail.

i have a LOT more "apparent" guts when i'm manic, and might do "exciting" things but there is only impulse and idealism in the risks... no calculations. Truth is, I DO DUMB THINGS AND SCREW MY LIFE UP.

then ppl go, wow, how brave... but that is false because i lack insight and the appropriate fear - courage means taking a chance in the face of fear. this was another issue with the test... questions on others seeing my life as exciting... simple answer: moderate yes, but if they had the full picture they'd admire/envy the "excitement" about as much as pathological gambling.

when i am euthymic, i barely seem to take risks. i lie low. try not to make waves - LOL. i might wish i could, but i don't. i am easily swayed by the cautions of others against my own feelings. i might resent it, but that is all. the resentment remains inside as melancholy and bitterness. but i can't seem to rechannel it into something positive, a way to move into a better place. let alone when i am anxious or depressed!!!!! RISK??? WHAAA???? all i want to do is hide. i don't even want to change my clothes let alone a job. i don't want to move from the couch to the bed, let alone transplant myself from coast to coast!!!!

so, there are vastly different types of behavior there. the test can't differentiate between states... the "have you ever" questions average things out longitudinally, producing, in my case, a skewed picture.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-21-2011), BlueCarGal (08-21-2011), DiMarie (08-21-2011), Dmom3005 (08-21-2011)